A 9-year-old boy who was tragically killed in a Detroit house fire just days before his tenth birthday last week has saved four other lives after five of his organs were donated.
O.J. Brown suffered severe internal injuries from smoke inhalation, according to Fox 5, and was taken off life support on Sunday. His mother, Jasmine Cosby, is being treated for serious burns on her face, and her other son, 6-year-old son Jayden, has burns all over his body and is heavily sedated in the ICU at Detroit Children’s Hospital due to severe pain.
Fox 5 reports that authorities said the family was sleeping when the fire started on February 13, and that the blaze was caused by an electrical issue.
Cosby decided to have her son’s organs donated. His left kidney and pancreas went to one patient, a right kidney to another, and his liver helped two different people.
A GoFundMe page was created to help the family.
“Their house was burned to the foundation of the house, losing everything that they had in there home,” wrote the creator of the fundraising page. “And now they have to prepare to lay O.J. to rest.”
They added: “They were apart of the Michigan Bulldog Family, where family is always first. We are asking for the support of family and friends to help us in being a blessing to this family in their time of need.”
Betsy Miner-Swartz with Gift of Life Michigan told the news outlet: “We thank his family for doing a heroic thing on what was undoubtedly the worst day of their lives creating miracles for four other families.”